Join us at Haunted Heritage on a Ghost Hunt at Norwood House.
Norwood is an exclusive private country estate in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, with over 100 acres of glorious grounds.
Today, we find Norwood Park restored to its original grandeur while dramatically fusing the styles of the old with the new. With sweeping staircases and elegant rooms, all set in a fantastic ground.
What of Norwood House
Rebuilt in the 1760s by the Sutton family during the reign of King George III, Norwood Park is a beautiful example of Georgian architecture designed in the style of John Carr of York has access.
But is it Haunted?
So, what ghosts continue to reside in what was once their family home?
What a fantastic place for a paranormal investigation. With such a varied history, it’s hardly surprising that the staff have reported seeing ghostly shadows, footsteps heard, and shadows seen on the first-floor corridors.
Does Edward Cludd still feel connected to his family residence?
Surrounded by history and untold stories. Join Haunted Heritage at this incredible house as we try to communicate with the ghostly residents. Haunted Heritage has exclusive access to investigate this historic house.
CIVIL WAR & REFORMATION
A TALE OF EDWARD CLUDD
After the Civil War, Parliament put many episcopal lands up for sale, including Norwood Park. In 1649, Edward Cludd (Master General of London) purchased Norwood Park for £965. He built a “pretty little brick house” where he resided for the rest of his life.
As a Civil Magistrate, Edward Cludd conducted many marriage ceremonies beneath a large Oak Tree called Cludd’s Oak. Sadly, Cludd’s Oak blew down in the 19th century. Fortunately, many other enormous Oak Trees from that period remain at Norwood Park, some more than 600 years old.
Norwood Park was returned to the church at the restoration, but Cludd remained a tenant for life.
A PRIVATE ESTATE
In 1764, John Sutton leased Norwood Park. Then 14 years later, his brother Richard Sutton successfully sought an Act of Parliament enabling him to exchange his Easthorpe Estate for ownership of Norwood Park.
During the 1760s, the Suttons pulled down Edward Cludd’s house and erected the present mansion you see today.
At that time, Norwood Park comprised around 30 rooms, domestic offices, a brewhouse, granary, bottle, flow, bakehouse, slaughterhouse, stables, coach house, dog kennels and cow yard. The Suttons also landscaped the Park, erecting the Temple, developing two more fish ponds and planting Lime Avenue.
After more than 100 years of residence, the Sutton family moved from Norwood Park and leased it to various tenants, including the Marquis of Carmarthen (Duke of Leeds), Lord Edwin Hill and Mr Dashwood Fane.
Later, Mr Chambers, a consummate entertainer, purchased Norwood Park, which became renowned as an “archepiscopal of hospitality”.